Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Moral Dilemma?

4 years ago I graduated uni and have been looking for work ever since. So dispondent, and fed up with the state of the country, I decided to emigrate to NZ 3 years ago. However in the process I met my girlfriend and decided to stay. We are now no longer together %26 I still have no work. I am therefore going to move to NZ in the new year. I am hoping to buy a house out there, but without a permanent job it will be impossible to get a mortgage.

My dilemma is this. I have now been offered a job, doing what I was trained for and interested in. Too much time, money and effort has been spent on my trip so cancelling now is not an option. So my 2 options are:

1. Refuse the job knowing that i will be leaving in 6 months and just rent in NZ
2. Take the job, get a mortgage and then leave after 6 months leaving the company in the lurch

I already know the right decision and therefore my answer. I just wanted to know what you people thought %26 whether you agree with my definition of morals.
Answer:
Definitely number 2. If you took the job and the company at some point wanted to reduce their headcount they'd make you redundant without giving your financial security or future a second thought. If employers can leave you in the lurch then it's only right that you should take the same attitude towards them.
Please leave. I can't stand the whining.
#1 is the ethical answer. #2 is the pragmatic answer, but I think you'd feel bad about yourself if you took it.

How about #3 -- tell the person hiring you that you will be leaving in six months, but would love to work the job until then, and ask if there's any chance you can fill in until they hire someone else.
I guess you've decided to take the job, get the mortgage and then go to NZ. However, with no job how are you going to actually pay the mortgage when you get there? Have you even thought about how you are going to pay back the tens of thousands of pounds that somebody else has lent you? The sensible thing to do is to take the job and stay for a year or two. If you do it this way you'll have that wonderful thing called "experience" under your belt. This will give you more chance of getting another job later. You will also be able to save some money so that when you take a mortgage you won't have to borrow as much.
What is your field? Where did you go to school? Was your GPA in the tank? You've been out of work for a long time.

If I were you, take the darned job for heavens sakes,and get a little experience in the 6 months you have left. Unless you were born in New Zealand, you don't want to go there, the Mauri Mauris will eat you for breakfast mate!
Take the job, rent. Then in six months, if you don't like the job, you can give notice and leave. However, you may find that the job is pretty good and decide to stay.
i hope you work out what you want, i wish you all the luck,when you finally make your mind up, keep safe all the best

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net