Saturday, October 31, 2009

Legality of using an alias for non-business (and non-criminal :P) reasons?

I was curious regarding the legality of using an alias. I know for business purposes, one must register as a DBA. What about using an alias for personal reasons? Its not for criminal or otherwise malicious purposes, just to maintain an additional level of anonymity in certain situations. I'm not talking fake ID's or anything either. Just looking to use another name when I want to (with obvious limitations such as air travel).

If it helps any, this is mainly for New York.
Answer:
I agree with dwydale and will add that as long as you do not open banking or credit accounts or try to rent living space. In other words not try to side step any legal obligation with that alias you are free to give any name to anyone as long as they are not in law enforcement/medical services/ yada yada yada
If you say it is for non-malicious activity. Then I would say that assuming an alias is the same as having a nickname. When I meet people I say my name is D.J. I don't say my name is D**** J*****. I've always been called D.J.
check with the county clerk's office. that is where business DBAs are registered. they should be able to direct you to the correct information for personal alias use. otherwise, just pick a nickname like the guy above suggested.
As said before the best legal way is to use a nickname, it can be a variant of your real name (there are book with that). Or you can use a random or silly nickname. Even a first name withou surname can work. (Many people don't know my surname; they just call me for the first name wich is very common).

To use a full fake name might be risky since that might put a red flag on you in the law enforcement community.

It might also be very dangerous, if you say you are John and then someone tell that you are Nick, some people might think that you are an undercover cop and that might get you killed.

Also it might not be a good idea to use a fake name when meeting a girl. They hate that, and might think you have bad intentions.

So stick only to nicknames or first name without using surname and remeber never to put a fake name on writing (or fake Id) or you will get in legal troubles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net