Saturday, October 31, 2009

Making a youtube video, copyright issues?

Ok so I'm making a youtube video and have a directors acount. The catch with the directors acount is that it is illegal to upload copyrighted materials and my account could get deleted. I want to put music in my video, is there any way around the copyright issue? I heard that it is legal to use up to 8 seconds of a copyright song before it is illegal, is that true?
Answer:
There is no magic number or duration for how much music you can use before it no longer counts as "fair use".

Your best bet is to use old songs (1800s and before), since those copyrights will have expired.

As far as the video itself, if you make it yourself, you own the copyright for it.
The "way around" the copyright issue is to properly license the music you want to use. Using music as a bed for your video is not ordinarily a fair use...and there is no such thing as an eight second rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net