Saturday, October 31, 2009

Lottery Winner being Sued Need Lawyer Advise?

I recently (8 months ago) won lottery (power Ball) I'll decline to give the amount because its irrelevant long story short the Lady that I was with at the time we stayed together for about 4 months after that and needless to say money changes people. We broke up, and this will make her 2 nd time getting a lawyer to try and press charges to sue me. This time she states that 50% of the winning is hers because she is the reason why I came to Tennessee to live and if it wasn't for that I would not have won.
The first time was the day after we broke up she stated that blah blah pain and suffering and I decided to give her 50k to settle out of court and just be done with it. I guess she figured that was only about 5% of my winnings and she wanted more.

My opinion: She cant prove that I came here and thats the reason why I won BUTTTT! ever since that last episode you'd be suprise of what people can get away with if you have a decent lawyer.

Also had a house in our name. Had 2 sell it
Answer:
Just some information here for you to apply to your situation.

If several people own a winning lottery ticket, each person is taxed only on his or her share of the winnings. But these people must be able to prove that they owned a share of the ticket before it was declared to be a winner. If they can't, the “nominal” owner will be taxed on the entire amount of the winnings. How to do this? “If the ticket itself has a space or spaces to indicate the owner, that should be filled in with the names of the multiple owners,” “If it doesn't, the best documentary evidence would, I think, consist of a document signed by all of the owners, and dated before the date of the relevant lottery drawing. Having it notarized would be helpful, though it’s impractical. The document should specify which ticket or tickets are the subject of the ‘ownership agreement,’ listing all the owners, their precise ownership shares, and how much they contributed towards the cost of the ticket. If the actual purchaser of the ticket has given the other owners their shares as a gift (which is certainly possible in the case of multiple owners who are related), the document should say so. In that case, it's even more important to establish – by notarization or by other means – that the purchaser gave these ‘gifts.’”
This rule also means that a single winner can’t reduce his or her tax just by giving part of the winnings to other people after the fact. “The IRS is likely to challenge a claim of multiple ownership of a winning lottery ticket if the co-owners are all members of the same family. In that case, it is especially important to be able to establish by documentary evidence that the multiple ownership arrangement was properly set up before the lottery ticket was found to be a winner.”

My opinion..Simply put....no ownership agreement..no share!
No Proof or evidence.....gets nothing!
Not married.....no legal share through marriage!

If you want to end this altogether ASAP contact the attorney below....He can "Git er'done" He is an expensive attorney but gets results in 99% of cases he takes. Who knows... a simple letter to this lady from him may stop the whole shannagans! Good luck and congratulations on your winnings!


Flaherty %26 Flaherty (270) 926-5050
just be happy you won the damn lottery! if i could just give someone 50k id be pretty happy.
You should have talked to a lawyer before you settled out of court. Even settling out of court there are papers you sign to drop the issue. She can claim the 50k was a gift. Get off the internet and find a real lawyer. Good luck.
My first reaction is something like "and we're supposed to feel sorry for you?" LOL... but you're right, money DOES change people. I had the same problem when I came into some money from an inheritance, and all of a sudden I was everyone's indispensable "friend"!

I think your first mistake was giving her the $50K, you should have told her to go pound sand... but what's done is done. Consider it a charitable donation, I've done the same. ;)

As for the present situation, unless she has something TANGIBLE (in writing) that STATES "oh, baby - I'm coming to TN *JUST* to be with you.." (LOL)... I would let the situation run its course. Any judge worth half a damn will laugh her out of court.

There's also the issue of "free will" - you are an adult (I'm assuming) with the capacity to come and go as you please. Who the hell is SHE to say that "she" is the reason you settled down in a particular place?!

That's a BOLD golddigger you got there, hun... Let me know how it turns out!

Harleygirl in California
I would not worry about it she is not your spouse she is not entitled to a penny
If she can not prove that she contributed to buying the ticket I don't think she has any claim to the money. I would just let her go about spending her money trying to sue you. Hopefully, if it does go to court that your attorney is smart enough to not allow the evidence of the out of court settlement because that could be seen as you admitting you owe her something.
Once you are out of state it will be tough to sue you, especially this frivolously. ~
Before giving her $50K you should have had her sign an agreement that she would not pursue this further.
If you give her any more I'd have her sign a contract your lawyer draws up.
I wish I'd hit the thing.
it wouldn't matter if you moved there to care for her on her death bed, YOU played the numbers and YOU won the $.end of story.

let her sue, all she is doing is wasting the 50K that you already gave her.(and with the way she's acting, she's lucky she got that)
You just need an Lawyer. I know you are not overflowing with money but I can give you a better solution. Just check out the following link and fill a simple form. You will get legal advice in just $1/day within 24 hrs. Trust me. Here is the link


http://www.usalegalcare.com/
Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net